- 4 cups sprouted lentils (or substitute regular lentils cooked as instructed on the package)
- 1 jar organic, raw kimchi, chopping larger pieces and reserving liquid
- 1 medium beet
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated fennel bulb
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (or substitute favorite herb)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves (or substitute basil or parsley)
- 1/4 cup chopped fennel fronds
- 4 cups arugula and spinach, lightly chopped
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
If working with sprouted lentils, then sauté in olive oil over medium-low heat until all lentils are warmed through, approximately 3–4 minutes. Why: This will break down some of the enzymes so the sprouts are more easily digested. Let the sprouts cool to room temperature.
Wash beet thoroughly and place on parchment-lined pan. Roast at 350°F for approximately 30 minutes. When a knife pokes through easily it is done. Let cool to room temperature, rub off the skin with your fingers and cube. Set aside.
In a large bowl place the lentils and add salt and pepper to taste. Add in all the remaining ingredients except the beets and mix together thoroughly. Pour in the juice from the kimchi and mix well. Add in the beets and stir just to combine.
Serve salad immediately and at room temperature to bring out the nuances of the flavors.
How to Sprout Lentils:
1 quart-sized Mason jar with ring
1/3 - 1/2 cup lentils
2 - 21/2 cups water
Rinse lentils, removing debris. Fill Mason jar about 1/3 full of lentils and then add water.
Cut a square piece of cheesecloth and place around the top of the jar and secure with the ring, so that the lentils can breathe while staying protected.
Let sit for 18-24 hours and then drain the water. Refill the jar to rinse the lentils and drain again. Lay the jar with lentils on its side and let sit for 10-12 more hours. Continue the rinse and drain process every 10-12 hours until the lentils are ready (when sprouts are around 1/4 inch long.)
Rinse a final time and spread out to dry. Refrigerate once dry.