About this recipe
Dress this salad an hour or two before serving to soften the leaves. It’s the perfect item to bring to a potluck because you assemble everything ahead of time, so you can relax and enjoy the compliments. The dressing keeps well in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Up to 3 Days Ahead:
1. Make Vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, combine the lemon juice, shallots, garlic, Dijon mustard and honey. Whisk into a paste with a fork. Add the champagne vinegar and oils and whisk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside or refrigerate.
2. Toast pine nuts In a dry pan over medium heat until golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Move to sheet pan to cool. Place in a container with a tight lid and set aside for up to 2 days.
3. Prepare Kale: Remove center ribs from kale with a knife. Place kale leaves on a cutting board and tightly roll kale from one short side to the other short side. Cut rolled kale into ribbons with a sharp knife and refrigerate.
When Ready to Serve:
1. Place cranberries in small bowl and cover with 1/2 cup of the dressing. Let soak for at least 20 minutes or up to several hours.
2. Place kale, shredded carrots and cabbage in large bowl and toss with 1 cup of the dressing to coat. Add soaked cranberries and their dressing, along with an additional 1 cup of dressing. Toss together with your hands to massage dressing into kale. Let macerate at least an hour or up to 3 hours at room temperature, tossing occasionally.
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add more dressing if desired. Sprinkle toasted pine nuts and cheese over salad, toss one more time, and serve.