- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 4 onions, peeled & quartered
- 1 lb. carrots with tops
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed & cut into wedges
- 1 lb. parsnips, peeled & halved lengthwise
- 1 lb. turnips, peeled & halved lengthwise
- 1 cup small new potatoes, halved
- 1 sweet potato, peeled & cut into 1·inch strips
- 4 garlic doves, unpeeled
- 8 shallots, peeled & halved
1. Make the Vinaigrette: Whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl.
2. Prepare Vegetables: Preheat oven to 400°. Add onions, carrots, fennel, parsnips, turnips, potatoes and sweet potato to bowl with vinaigrette. Toss to coat.
3. Place vegetables in a single layer on two large rimmed baking sheets, making sure vegetables don't touch. Roast for 30 minutes.
4. Remove vegetables from oven and stir. Add garlic and shallots and roast for 30 minutes or more, until vegetables are tender and deeply browned on all edges.
5. Squeeze roasted garlic from peels and mix with vegetables. Transfer to a large platter.
6. Season with fresh rosemary and additional salt and pepper to taste.