RECIPE BY LYNDA MARREN, JUST ADD SALT
2 discs of Lynda's Vodka Pie Dough
1 3/4 lbs. Granny Smith apples
1/2 Tablespoon lemon zest
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
2 different-sized biscuit cutters:
—One 2 3/4-inch
- Roll Dough: Lightly sprinkle flour over work surface. Place discs of chilled pie dough on surface and dust lightly with flour. Gently roll into two 10x13-inch rectangles, moving dough and adding flour underneath at regular intervals so dough doesn’t stick to work surface.
- Use a 3-inch biscuit cutter to cut the dough into rounds. Set dough rounds on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze rounds for 30 minutes.
- Make Apple Rings: Peel and core apples and slice into 1/8-inch thick rings. Use a biscuit cutter one size smaller than the one used for pie dough to cut apples into 23/4-inch rounds.
- In a large bowl, combine the apple slices, lemon zest, granulated sugar, salt and cinnamon. Toss until the sugar is dissolved and the apples are evenly coated.
- Assemble Cookies: Line another rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place one dough round on baking sheet, then place 2 apple rings on top of each other in center of round. Top with another dough round. Dip your fingers in water, and press the edges of each cookie together tightly with your fingers to form a seal. The heat and steam in the oven will push the two sections apart so the seal must be very tight. Press the tines of a fork around each edge to decorate. Repeat with all remaining rounds. Cut 4 small slits in the top of each cookie to let steam escape. Freeze assembled cookies until ready to bake.
- When Ready to Bake: Preheat oven to 350°. Brush dough with egg wash and sprinkle generously with turbinado sugar. Bake until crust is golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.