Super-tender chicken thighs are my go-to for weekinght meals because they’re uniquely flavorful and ready in under half an hour. Plan for two thighs per person because they are much smaller than breasts. I pair this recipe with seasonal vegetables and wild rice or farro.
Up to 5 Days Ahead:
1. Make Marinade: Place garlic, serrano chile, soy sauce, vinegar, olive oil, lime juice, honey, salt and pepper in a small food processor and purée until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Prepare Honey Vinegar Glaze: Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
Up to 5 Hours Ahead:
3. Place chicken thighs in a sturdy 3-lb. plastic bag and add marinade.
4. Squeeze air from bag and seal.
5. Use hands to massage marinade into chicken. Refreigerate until 1 hour before serving. Bring chicken to room temperature by placing the marinating bag of chicken in a large bowl on counter.
When Ready to Cook:
6. Preheat oven to 500°. Remove chicken pieces from marinade and gently pat top dry with a paper towel. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper with at least an inch between each piece. Season with additional salt and pepper.
7. Bake chicken for 20 minutes. Check thighs at thickest part with an instant-read thermometer; temperature should reach 160°. Turn broiler to high and drizzle chicken with Honey Vinegar glaze. Broil tops of thighs for 2 to 3 minutes to crisp the skin.
8. Place on plates and drizzle with remaining Honey Vinegar Glaze.
*Forget what your mom taught you—chicken does not need to be rinsed! Marinate straight from the butcher and there will be no need to sterilize colanders and your sink.